Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why is it so hard?

Question... why is it so hard to end a bad relationship? This is a question that I've asked myself many times. I'm sure everyone has experienced or knows someone that was in a terrible relationship with some heathen man or woman. The relationship could have started out great (or just been shenanigans all along), but at some point it got really bad. Whether the other cheated, was manipulative, insensitive, or even abusive (emotionally, verbally, or physically) you (or someone you know) wouldn't leave, they just continued to deal with the nonsense. Even if it really hurt them. What is it about love that makes you stay with someone despite all these things. I know love is supposedly blind, but is it also deaf, mute, and stupid too. My first inclination is to say yes, as I have been each of those things at some point in love. However, as I look back on those situations I wonder what the hell was wrong with me. Granted hindsight is 20/20. I wonder if sometimes we confuse love for comfort or security. Or do we love the idea of what the relationship could be or what we hope will be? Love, as splendid as it is can be one of the most crippling adversaries you come up against in life. Mother never told me love would be this complicated. I mean in all the fairy tales it was easy, the beautiful princess would be attacked by some evil villain and the charming prince would rescue her and they would live happily ever after. No one ever said the villain could end up being prince charming himself. Or that after rescuing you he might get tired of having you around and cheat with some other princess. Or that he might not be ready for the commitment of "ever after" but he wants you to hang around the castle, act like his princess, and wait for him to be ready (which may happen next week or years from now). At any rate win you are in this state of love a certain level of sensibility seems to go away and make you do things you wouldn't normally do (kinda like getting drunk i guess). Why is it so hard to be objective and walk away when it just isn't right?

1 comment:

Mamalicious said...

because a woman's greatest flaw is her ability to see potential. we know it's there, we can wait for you to reach it, but will you still want us when you do?