Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Breaking up in the era of social networking

Question... how sucky is it to have to change your status when you break up. I'm on facebook as we speak (yes I can multi task) and I just saw that one of my friends (not a real friend just a FB friend) is no longer in a relationship with the lovely broken heart picture next to it. This made me think of how depressing it is to date with all this social media. I mean its great when you change your status from single to "in a relationship" all your friends see it and they are all happy, maybe even write cool things on your wall like "someone is actually desperate enough to date you" but its cute and you are happy.

Then the person your dating start exhibiting heathen behavior and you have to break up. But then you are no longer "in a relationship" with the heart picture... you are "no longer in a relationship" with the broken heart picture. You have gone from being happy lucky guy/gal to loser that's alone again. At least that's what i imagine it feels like when you're already in the dumps behind the break up.

What about when you go through that weird phase where you break up and get back together several times within a few months. Do you change your status each time or just remain single or remain in a relationship the whole time. I wonder if there is a way to opt out of the whole relationship status thing. I don't think I'll ever change my status until I'm married.

Then why have the crappy heart broken heart thing. I think you should be able to write your own labels instead of "no longer in a relationship" why can't the message say "that bastard wasn't good enough so I dropped him like a bad habit" or "we're together today, but he has one more time to piss me off" or "i might have to cut somebody" or even better "I'm single, he just doesn't know it yet"

1 comment:

Mamalicious said...

they need boxing gloves for when you are fighting and something else for when you are making up :)