Thursday, January 15, 2009

Breaking up is hard to do

Question...When it comes to breaking up, is there a "right" way to do it? What I mean by this is, it is ok to send a text or an e mail to break up with someone. For all of the SATC lovers we remember when Berger broke up with Carrie on a post it note. How tacky was that? But is a text break up just as tacky. I guess if I looked at my phone and saw "hey, dont want 2 date u ne more...l8r" I would be pretty offended. What about the e mail. I think e mails are great because you can say all the things you want to say, read it over to make sure its sounds ok, then send it knowing that you have done your best to convey a kind, but clear statement. Whereas in person break up can get ugly maybe you'll have an argument, curse a couple times, call the person a few unkind names. Then what? But if you've been with a person for a while do you then kind of owe them the in person? What about a person you've only been dating a couple months, is ok to just stop talking to them? I have a friend who always says she's "deleted" folks. Basically meaning they've done something heathenous and she's not talking to them anymore and they have been deleted from her phone...I love that. Anyway, what is the right way and are there certain factors that determine the right way to kick someone to the curb?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So I'm one of the biggest SATC fans and I don't think anything is a good as a good face-to-face conversation. Haven't people been upset with alternative methods of communication even while they are dating; so should the break-up communication be any different? Doesn't everyone want the opportunity to ask questions or relay their side of the equation... even though it may be hard for the person doing the breaking up...just think of how the person who is being broken up with feels. And hey, maybe in the process of the face-to-face you can avoid gaining a future stalker!