Thursday, July 29, 2010

Not dating, but "hanging out"

Question…What’s your definition of “hanging out”? I pose this question as it’s become glaringly clear to me that my definition of hanging out and guy’s definition of hanging out are two completely different things. To be more specific, my idea of hanging out means, not necessarily dating, but doing things with another person and getting to know them. I also think of “hanging out” in more of a platonic sense. However, I’m starting to feel like most guys consider hanging out as having sex with no strings attached and maybe going out from time to time. Now there is nothing wrong with the latter option, but I feel like “hanging out” isn’t the best term for that situation. If I knew up front that a guy was moreso just interested in having sex with me, I would at least know what I was getting into. Let’s be honest if I’m trying to get to know a person there is a certain level of effort I’ll put into doing that. However, if you just want to have sex and then go out from time to time, I would approach that situation differently. I probably wouldn’t put forth as much effort, I’d just call when I’m horny or when I don’t have any other plans. I feel like being forthcoming with your intentions is so much easier to deal with. There is no confusion that way. So now if a guy tells me he just wants to “hang out” I automatically assume he wants to have sex and treat the situation accordingly. Is that wrong? Could it simply be the guys I’ve met are just d-bags? What’s your definition of “hang out?

2 comments:

Mamalicious said...

hanging out is hanging out!!!! fcuk buddies are fcuk buddies!!!

i don't know what else to say really, except that most men don't know what they want.

it goes back to guys cannot have platonic relationships with women.

~JSW said...

lol...You are right, but most guys won't just come out and say "hey lets just be buddies" they have to try to make it seems more friendly than that. Although it would be great if they were straight up about what they want. But based on my experience, I've just determined that if a guy tells me he wants to hang out that ultimately he wants sex.