Thursday, July 1, 2010

Rules of Quitting...

Question…if you are early on in dating a person and for whatever reason you decide to quit them, do you need to officially let them know they’ve been quit or is it ok to just disappear? Now understand with this I’m not talking about a serious relationship b/c clearly that deserves an actual ending. But let’s say you’ve only gone out on two or three dates and you realize they just aren’t it. Can you just slowly stop returning their calls or stop accepting dates and try to end them into the friend zone? Is that rude? What if you’ve given them some lovin and then you realize it’s just not going to work…does the introduction of lovin warrant a face to face quitting? What’s appropriate?

4 comments:

Mamalicious said...

just give them a Courtesy Call and call it a day! i do think a call that is clear and concise will suffice...why did that rhyme?

if you don't want to be bothered anymore, just nip it in the bud.

now whether or not you have the guts to say 'i'm just not that into you' or you cop-out and say 'my life is just too busy', that's on you!

if you were willing to go out on a couple dates or give them some HOTPOCKET, then you can at least CC them into the memo....

~JSW said...

I'm a big fan of just no longer returning phone calls...lmao. I've done that plenty of times. But you are right a courtesy call is a bit nicer.
And I've found that telling someone "i'm just not that into you" is kind of liberating. Its hard to let the words come out of your mouth b/c you don't want to hurt a person's feelings. But the feeling of control and relief you get afterwards is really nice. And it ensures they won't bother you again...their pride will probably be pretty hurt.

k@+e said...

SO glad I finally got a chance to read your blog after seeing it on fb! But anyway, this is a GOOD topic! And I have to say, I'm a huge fan of no call/no answer as well! Unless you've shared the goods with them, then a phone call or these days txts work, to let them know you're no longer feeling it. A reason doesn't have to be given though. And as for the feelings, some ppl need their "ego" to be brought down a notch, it helps the next potential partner out ;) Feelings aren't protected in the constitution! And everyone gets their feelings hurt now and again.

~JSW said...

@ K@+e, I have to say "feelings aren't protected in the constitution" is probably the best and funniest phrase I've heard all day...lmao. And I agree with you too. I think I sometimes get careless with men and just toss them to them to the side when I'm not interested anymore. I'm like a little kid with a new toy. But like you said if they've gotten the hot pocket they should get an official notice of intent to quit...lol