Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Who Foots the Bill?

Question...in this modern world with the new modern woman, are men still expected to always pay for dates/activities? I hear both guys and girls talk about this a lot. According to some men, women expect to be treated all the time for dates, we expect to have our drinks purchased at the bar, we expect guys to pay for it all. And I don't really disagree with any of those. For me personally, I've never had a second thought about who was going to pay for a meal. Even when I go out with my guy friends they usually pay for the food or whatever we're doing, I don't even think of going for my wallet. Is that wrong?

Should women pay for dates, a first date, should you alternate? What's proper? I guess I've been lucky in dating guys who automatically take on this role of picking up the bill. Granted in my last relationship I would pick up the check sometimes or pay for our tickets to certain activities, etc but this was sporadic at best and certainly not an expectation of my other. In fact I remember one time this guy I was interested in asked me to lunch, we went to this simple cafeteria style spot. He was in front of me in line and paid for his food and turned and said "I'll go grab us a seat". Now of course it wasn't a problem for me to pay for my own lunch, but I will admit it was a turn off, especially since he asked me to meet him. As a general rule you always have enough money to pay for your portion of a check when going out with someone.

I do have some female friends that insist on paying for themselves when going on dates with guys, I don't really know why but they feel strongly about such things. I also know of guys that refuse to let a woman pick up the check, they feel its the "guys job" to pay for the bill. Is this an old fashioned expectation? Should the cost of dating activities be split 50/50 (or close to it)? Does it really matter?

4 comments:

~Feenix~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~Feenix~ said...

I have a very liberal and simple response. It should be alteranted. The woman shouldn't ALWAYS expect to be treated. Besides you can't scream "INDEPENDENT WOMAN" a la beyonce n dem and then act like you can't buy some movie tickets. Everybody's money ain't long and to EXPECT him to treat all the time is unacceptable. Let him do it because he wants too, NOT BECAUSE HE IS OBLIGATED.
That will make you appear like a user...a look that is NOT good for a woman. Remember you will be treated according to how you act!

Mamalicious said...

i agree...alternate.

~JSW said...

I agree with that. It shouldn't be an expectation. Although I admit for the first date its probably still an expecation of mine, but after that i'm all about alternating.