Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I'm not sure about "they"

Question...Who is they? and why don't they have a name? Have you ever been in this scenario. You've been dating a guy for a while, you pretty much know his friends (either by meeting them or hearing him talk about them). Then all of sudden you guys are on the phone and he's telling you he's going to grab drinks after work with his friend, they haven't hung out in a while. That's no big deal right, but who is they? He doesn't say my friend Bob or Paul like he usually does when he talks about his friends. For some reason this friend remains nameless and genderless. So of course as any woman would you ask more questions, but the man never gives this person an identity. What do you think? Do you forget about it and move on to another subject, or do you wonder who the heck this person is and why they don't have a name. So of course you do what you do best, ask more questions. Eventually you find that "they" is another woman. Of course a harmless other woman that the man went to school with or some nonsense and happened to catch up with him on FB and "they" want to meet up in person. Now I am going to state my opinion about such a situation (because this isn't at all about me). If it were me in this sitution I would wonder why the person wasn't forthcoming with the information, especially if thats how they usually are. It would bother me that instead of just saying "hey I talked to my friend whatsherface from school, we're going to meet up for drinks after work" he had to try to avoid it. It would make me think he's trying to hide something. Now the meeting up with "they" for drinks could be totally innocent, but the simple fact that he tried to keep the person he was seeing away from me would raise some questions in my mind. So I pose the question to you, would such a scenario make you question this meeting with "they" or should it just be left alone?

2 comments:

~Feenix~ said...

Ria, you already know how I feel. I think we have similar stories on our blog psotings (www.feenixfire.blogspot.com)

Mamalicious said...

if they can't say who they are meeting with in the first place, there are other questions to be asked! i'm married, and i never meet up with people of the opposite sex for drinks - there is no reason, and i don't have male friends either. of course that comes with 9 years of marriage, but still...and even if i am out at the store and get caught up talking to someone, i always say who i bumped into. this town is too small and people talk too much. so i just don't go there!!! hi and bye!